WM. J. VEIGELE, Ph. D.
333 Old Mill Road #324 (805) 967-7667 Santa Barbara, CA 93110 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ten years experience as technical writer, writer, editor, and book publisher.
Six years experience in infrared technology including research, program management, product line management, and marketing of research, ManTech, and production contracts. Established the first mercury cadmium telluride (HCT) research and production line at SBRC.
Seven years as a full time, and twelve years as a part time college and university professor.
Seven years experience in environmental work including: air and noise pollution modeling and monitoring, design and construction of monitoring systems, traffic surveys, managing and performing environmental impact statements, and land use planning, organizing air pollution control associations, and expert witness testimony at hearings.
Twenty years of experience in nuclear weapons effects, hardening, survivability, and lethality of materials, devices, and systems. Designed and managed underground nuclear test (UGT) experiments. Director, Hardening Technology Department, Applied Sciences Department, and Photon and Charge Particle Transport Department.
B.A. - Mathematics, Hofstra College, Hempstead, New York
M.A. - Physics, Hofstra College, Hempstead, N.Y.
Ph.D.- Physics, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado
Retired after twenty-two years with the U. S. Naval Reserve. Three years active duty in World War II. Commanding Officer Naval Research Reserve Co. 21, Denver, Colorado.
Raytheon Electromagnetics System Div., Santa Barbara, CA
Santa Barbara Research Center (SBRC), Goleta, CA
General Research Corp. (GRC), Santa Barbara, CA
Electrical and Computer Eng'g. Dept., UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA
Environmental Division, County of Santa Barbara
Colorado Dept. of Highways, Denver, CO
Medical Care and Research Foundation, Denver, CO
Fairchild Camera and Instrument Corp., Long Island, NY
Secret Top Secret Q
ASTRAL PUBLISHING CO.
1995 - Present
Owner of the company. Writer, editor, and publisher of fiction and nonfiction books.
GENERAL RESEARCH CORP.
1984 - 1989
Department Director. Program Manager on contracts for underground nuclear tests (UGT). Principal investigator on gyro vulnerability and hardening study, photon and neutron code development, radiation damage in materials, and studies on vulnerability of infrared focal plane arrays. Interaction of laser beams and plasmas with materials. Opacity studies. Heat and radiation transport modeling. Developed photon transport codes. Radiation damage in optical fibers. Solved various physical and mathematical problems. Generated ideas and wrote proposals.
SANTA BARBARA RESEARCH CENTER
1979 - 1984
Program Manager, Senior Scientist, and Product Line Manager. Research and development and radiometric testing of infrared detectors and systems. Did research on silicon detectors to improve performance. Studied defects in HgCdTe detectors. Developed standard methods and standard detectors for radiometric testing. Designed and assembled a gamma ray laboratory for testing nuclear effects of infrared detectors. Evaluated vulnerability of focal plane arrays and electronics to nuclear weapon and space radiations.
Did special analytical studies. Acted as liaison between Raytheon, Goleta and the Raytheon Research Center advising each entity on what technical capabilities the other offered and needed.
RESOURCE SCIENCE INC.
1974 - 1978
Founder and President. Did research on environmental effects including air pollution and noise. Did modeling and monitoring. Established monitoring systems. Was environmental consultant for Colo. Dept. of Highways and performed environmental studies and impacts of highway projects. Gave expert testimony to Colorado Senate hearings. Managed first air pollution analysis and plans for Pikes Peak Area Council of Governments. Gave expert testimony at public hearings. Managed environmental impact statement for construction of large electric coal burning power plant. Did environmental impact statement for revamping of highway system in Colorado Springs. Organized and co-chaired first Air Pollution Control Association in Colorado Springs. Co-chaired Traffic Control Association for Denver. Managed air pollution study for Hershey Co., Pennsylvania.
Established division of RSI at Kappa Systems Inc. and was Vice President of Kappa Systems. Developed a division of RSI at Mission Research Corp.
KAMAN SCIENCES CORP.
1964 - 1974
Senior Scientist and Program Manager of contracts for vulnerability survivability, and hardening of missile, electronic, aircraft, communications, and sensor systems. Developed Monte Carlo codes for photon transport. Developed theory for low energy x-ray cross sections and cross sections for ionized atoms and plasmas. Developed electron beam simulation techniques and calculations of energy deposition in particle loaded materials. Derived three phase thermodynamic equations of state. Worked on neutron radiography. Evaluated vulnerability of masers. Did nuclear fallout studies and transferred the technology to air pollution modeling.
Williams College, Mass. Instructor in physics.
Hofstra College, N.Y., Instructor in
Engineering and Physics.
Parsons College, Iowa, Professor and Head of
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, Instructor in Physics.
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, CO, Part time Lecturer in Physics.
University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, Part time Visiting Associate Professor in Physics, Nuclear and Chemical Engineering, Mechanical and Environmental Engineering, and Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Sigma Xsi, Honorary Research Society
Sigma Pi Sigma, Honorary Physics Society
Sigma Alpha, Honorary Engineering Society
Patent and Publications Awards, Martin Co.
Publication Award, GRC
Publications and Performance Awards, Kaman Sciences Corp.
NSF Science Faculty Fellowship
International Atomic Physics Conference
Gordon Research Conference
Infrared Detector Technology
Faculty Affiliate, Colo. State Univ., Atmospheric Science
Correspondent for the journal Optical Spectra
Vice Chairman, Air Quality and Transportation Advisory Committees
Scientific Journal article Peer Reviewer for:
Journal of Applied Physics
Journal of Chemical Physics
American Journal of Physics
Journal of Atmospheric Environment
American Men and Women of Science
Leaders in American Science
Men of Achievement
Who's Who in Science, Engineering, and Business
Who's Who in the West
2000 Outstanding Scientists of the 20th Century
International Scientist of the Year 2001
Articles in Technical Journals
1. Veigele, Wm. J., "Thermophysical Properties of Air," N.B.S. Report, 1959.
2. Brun, E., J. J. Kraushaar, W. L. Pierce, and Wm. J. Veigele, "Nuclear Magnetic Dipole Moment of Ca41," Phys. Rev. Letters 9, 166 (1962).
3. Veigele, Wm. J., and A. W. Bevan, Jr., "Device for NMR Measurements Under Axial Stress and Hydrostatic Pressure," Rev. Sci. Instr. 34, 21 (1963).
4. Veigele, Wm. J., "Device for NMR Measurement Under Stress and Pressure: Method for Construction and Loading Rubber Seal," Rev. Sci. Instr. 34, 1158L (1963).
5. Veigele, Wm. J. and A. W. Bevan, Jr., "Temperature Dependence of Al Nuclear Quadrupole Interaction in Ruby," J. Chemical Physics, 38, 1596 (1963).
6. Veigele, Wm. J., "Growth of (CH2)6N4 Crystal from Vapor," American Journal of Physics, 31, 598 (1963).
7. Veigele, Wm. J., and A. W. Bevan, Jr., "Diffusion Narrowing of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Linewidth of F19 in CaF2:Sm2+," Physical Review, 131, 1585-1586 (1963).
8. Veigele, Wm. J., "Paramagnetic Resonance of Mn2+ in KF," Journal of Chemical Physics, 41, 274-276 (1964).
9. Stettler, John D., and Wm. J. Veigele, "Crystalline Field Stress Dependence," Journal of Chemical Physics 41, 2341 (1964).
10. Veigele, Wm. J., "EPR Spectroscopy of Vacancies in KF:Mn2+," Applied Spectroscopy, 20, 113 (1966).
11. Veigele, Wm. J., and N. J. Roper, "Fluorescence Corrections to X-Ray Absorption in a Slab," Journal of Applied Physics, 37, 4309 (1966).
12. Veigele, Wm. J., and P. T. Tracy, "Compton Effect and Electron Binding," American Journal of Physics, 34, 1116 (1966).
13. Veigele, Wm. J., and J. Balogh, "Fluorescence Corrections to X-Ray Absorption in a Sphere," Journal of Applied Physics, 39, 1414 (1968).
14. Veigele, Wm. J., W. M. Henry, "Spin Hamiltonian Derivation of Paramagnetic Susceptibility in Axial Crystal Systems," American Journal of Physics, 36, 800 (1968).
15. Veigele, Wm. J., "Electron Momenta in Monte Carlo X-Ray Transport," Journal of Applied Physics, 39, 4781 (1968).
16. Veigele, Wm. J., "High Field Paramagnetic Susceptibility," Journal of Chemical Education, 45, 661 (1968).
17. Veigele, Wm. J., P. T. Tracy, and E. M. Henry, "Generalized Compton Equation," American Journal of Physics, 37, 806 (1969).
18. Veigele, Wm. J., D. E. Stevenson, and E. M. Henry, "Screening Constants and Transition Energies," Journal of Chemical Physics, 50, 5404 (1969).
19. Veigele, Wm. J., "X-Ray Attenuation Cross Sections of Air Between 0.1 keV and 1 MeV," Journal of Applied Physics, 41, 3178 (1970).
20. Veigele, Wm. J., "Ka Satellite-Type Lines in Iron," Astrophysical Journal, 162, 357 (1970).
21. Bracewell, B. L. and Wm. J. Veigele, "Tables of X-Ray Mass Attenuation Coefficients", Developments in Applied Spectroscopy, Vol. 9, 357 (1971).
22. Veigele, Wm. J. and E. M. Henry, "X-Ray Absorption in Bone and Muscle," in Applications of Low Energy X- and Gamma-Rays (Gordon and Breach Science Publications Ltd., London, 1971).
23. Bracewell, B. L. and Wm. J. Veigele, "Elemental X-Ray Cross Sections at Selected Wavelengths," in Advances in X-Ray Analysis, Vol. 15, K.F.J. Heinrich, C. S. Barrett, J. B. Newkirk, and C. 0. Rude, Ed. (Plenum Press, N. Y., 1972).
24. Henry, E. M., C. L. Bates, and Wm. J. Veigele, "Low-Energy Photoionization," Physical Review A, 6, 2131 (1972).
25. Veigele, Wm. J., "Photon Cross Sections from 0.1 keV to 1 MeV for Elements Z = 1 to Z = 84", Atomic Data 5, 51 (1973).
26. Veigele, Wm. J., "Derivation of the Compton Effect for Non-stationary and Bound Electrons," Philosophical Magazine, 27, 761 (1973).
27. Veigele, Wm. J., "Attenuation Cross Sections in cm2/g at Selected Wavelengths for 94 Elements," Handbook of Spectroscopy, J. W. Robinson, 155 (1974).
28. Veigele, Wm. J., "Mass Attenuation and Absorption Cross Sections for 94 Elements; 0.1 keV to 1 MeV," Handbook of Spectroscopy, J. W. Robinson, 28 (1974).
29. Clayson, R. L., E. Briggs, and Wm. J. Veigele, "Supplementary Control of 502 is Practical and Cost-Effective," Power Engineering, 60, (1975).
30. Hubbell, J. H., Wm. J. Veigele, E. A. Briggs, R. T. Brown, D. T. Cromer, and R. J. Howerton, "Atomic Form Factors, Incoherent Scattering Functions, and Photon Scattering Cross Sections," Journal of Physics & Chemistry, 4, 471 (1975).
31. Hubbell, J. H., and Wm. J. Veigele, "Comparison of Theoretical and Experimental Photoeffect Data 0.2 keV to 1.5 MeV," N.B.S. Technical Note 901, National Bureau of Standards, April 1976.
32. Veigele, Wm. J. and R. L. Clayson, "Concentration and Index Sensitivity of a Gaussian Plume Model," Proceedings of 7th International Technical Meeting on Air Pollution Modeling and its Application, Arlie, Virginia (September 1976).
33. Veigele, Wm. J. and R. L. Clayson, "Resource Systems Analysis," Proceedings of National Conference on Energy and the Environment, Cincinnati, Ohio (October 1976).
34. Veigele, Wm. J. and J. H. Head, "Derivation of the Gaussian Plume Model," Journal of the Air Pollution Control Association, 28, 1139 (1978).
35. Veigele, Wm. J. and R. L. Clayson, "Air Pollution Indices for Long Range Planning," Journal of the Air Pollution Control Association, 28, 928 (1978).
36. Veigele, Wm. J., "Compton Shift in Energy, and Wavelength," Amer. J. Phys., 56, 200 (1988).
37. Veigele, Wm. J. and E. Chang, "APFSIC Photon Transport Code," J. Rad. Effects Res. and Eng'g, 6, 72 (1988).
Journals in Which the Articles Were Published
Physical Review Letters
American Journal of Physics
Journal of Chemical Physics
Journal of Applied Spectroscopy
Journal of Applied Physics
Journal of Chemical Education
Journal of Physics and Chemistry
Journal of Radiation Effects Research and Engineering
Review of Scientific Instruments
Applications of Low Energy X- and Gamma Rays
Advances in X-Ray Analysis
Handbook of Spectroscopy
Journal of the Air Pollution Control Association
1. "Quadrupole Coupling Constant and Linewidths of Al in Ruby versus T and CR3+ Concentration," Bulletin of American Physical Society, 5, 344 (1960).
2. "Solid State Research at Martin," American Association for the Advancement of Science, (1961).
3. "Quadrupole Temperature Dependence in Ruby," Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 8, 35 (1963).
4. "Theory of Effect of Stress on NMR Ouadrupole Interaction," Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 8, 529 (1963).
5. "Effect of Stress on NMR Quadrupole Interaction in Ruby," Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 8, 529 (1963).
6. "Diffusion in Calcium Fluoride," Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 9, 25 (1964).
7. "Compton Effect and Bound Electrons," American Journal of Physics, 33, 983 (1965).
8. "Mn2+ Interactions in Potassium Fluoride," Society for Applied Spectroscopy, (1965).
9. "X-Ray Cross Section Compilation," Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 15, 72 (1970).
10. "Trace Determination of the Angular Dependence of Paramagnetic Susceptibility," Colorado-Wyoming Academy of Science and the American Association of Physics Teachers, Greely, Colorado, 1-2 May 1970.
11. "Table of X-Ray Mass Attenuation and Absorption Cross Sections for 87 Elements at Selected Wavelengths," Mid-Amer. Symp. on Spectra. (June 1970).
12. "Elemental X-Ray Absorption and Muscle," Third Symposium on Low Energy X- and Gamma-Ray Sources and Applications (June 1970).
13. "Photon Cross Sections from 0.1 keV to 1 MeV," Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 16, 1354 (1971).
14. "Photoionization Cross Sections from 0.1 keV to 10 keV," Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 16, 1354 (1971).
15. "Mathematical Model for Predicting Air Pollution Concentrations in Urban Centers," a symposium, National Environmental Health Assn., New York, 3 July 1972.
16. "Land Use and Transportation Planning for Air Quality in the Pikes Peak Area," North American Conference on Motor Vehicle Emission Control, Albuquerque, 13-16 November 1972.
17. "Simulation in Community Land Use and Transportation Planning," North American Conference on Motor Vehicle Emission Control, Denver, 26-28 September 1973.
18. "Environmental Impact Statement for a Power Plant Near Colorado Springs," Rocky Mt. Section for Air Pollution Control Association, Colorado Springs, Colorado, 3 April 1974.
19. "Environmental Impact Statement for a Power Plant Near Colorado Springs," Air Pollution Control Association 67th Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado, 12 June 1974.
20. "Concentration and Index Sensitivity of a Gaussian Plume Model," 7th International Technical Meeting on Air Pollution Modeling and Its Application, Airlie, Virginia (Sept. 1976).
21. "Resource Systems Analysis," National Conference on Energy and the Environment, Cincinnati, Ohio (October 1976).
22. "Infrared Detectors and Focal Plane Arrays: Status and Out-look," Keynote Paper, Technical Marketing Society of America, London and Stockholm, 27 and 30 May 1983.
1. Book review of Magnetic Resonance at High Pressure, G. Benedek, for the J. Astro. Sci., Vol. XI, No. l, 1964.
2. Book review of Quantum Radio Frequency Physics, by L. D. Stepin, J. Astro. Sci., 14, 140-141 (May-June 1967).
3. "The Research Reserve-A Neglected Resource," U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings, 95, 83 (1969).
4. "Comments and Discussion on the Article, `The Encircling Sea'," U. S. Naval Institute Proceedings, 95, 117 (1969).
5. "Communications Between the Librarian and Management in Industry," Joint Colloquium of the Special Libraries Association (2 May 1969).
6. "The Reserve Officer - Post Graduate Dilemma," U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings, 96, 94 (1970).
7. "Faster Than Light?," Highlights for Children Magazine, November 1971.
8. "Mysteries of the Universe - Matter Vs. Anti Matter," Young World, February 1972.
9. Book review, NMR Basic Principles and Progress, P. Diehl, E. Fluck, and R. Kosfeld,
Editor, for the J. Astro. Sci., 19, 236 (1971).
10. "The Great Carrier Debate," U. S. Naval Institute Proceedings, 99, 88 (Dec. 1973).
11. "The patrol Craft - History Provides a Lesson," National Defense LXIX, 65, March, 1985.
12. "Rain," Short story (Honorable Mention, Writer's Digest Competition, 1983).
13. "A Strong Left Side," Golf Magazine, June 1985.
14. "Make it a Golf and RV Weekend,", Senior, the California Senior Magazine, Sept. 1986.
15. "Lefty Wins City Golf Tournament," Southpaw Activities, National Association
of Lefthanded Golfers, 26 August 1987.
16. "Blacks Can be Stars Too," United States Naval Institute Proceedings,
114/12/1030, pg. 23, Dec. 1988.
17. "Too Good to be Forgotten," Naval History, Summer 1989.
18. "How to Throw a Curve," Fan Magazine, Spring, 1993.
19. Golf is Like Love (Astral Publishing Company, Santa Barbara, CA, 1994).
20. "Thirty Six Years Later - Navy Reunion," Senior Magazine, November 1993.
21. "Cheating at Golf Steals Your Fun," Golf Today, page 3, July 1995.
22. "When Lightning Looms," Golf Tips Magazine, page 20, August 1995.
23. "Golf is Only a Game," Golf Tips Magazine.
24. "Don't Get Zapped on the Golf Course," Golf Today, page 17, February 1996.
25. PC Patrol Craft of World War II (Astral Publishing Co., Santa Barbara, CA, 1998).
26. "They Filled the Gap - Saga of PC Boats," Sea Classics, page 46, Vol. 32,
No. 1, February 1999.
27. Wm. J. Veigele "Preview of the WWII 461- class Patrol Craft Model Kit," Patrol Craft Sailors Association Newsletter, page 13, Oct. - Dec. 1999.
28. Wm. J. Veigele "PC - amerykanskie patrolowce II wojny swiatowej," Okrety Wojenne,
Page 53, Numer 6/2000 (4).
29. Best Time of Year (Astral Publishing Co., Santa Barbara, CA, 2000).
30. Chelydra serpentina (Astral Publishing Co., Santa Barbara, CA, 2000).
31. Wm. J. Veigele as Dan Sanders, Chelydra serpentina (Astral Publishing Co.,
Santa Barbara, CA, 2000).
32. "Mare Nostrum: PC Subchasers in Action in Europe," Sea Classics, page 12,
Vol. 34, No. 1, January 2001.
33. "Splinter Fleet - The Wooden Subchasers of world War II," Book Review
in Nautical Research Journal, Vol. 46, No. 1, March 2001.
34. Wm. J Veigele as Brad Forge, Best Time of Year (Astral Publishing Co.,
Santa Barbara, CA , 2001).
35. Sea Bag of Memories (Astral Publishing Co., Santa Barbara, CA, 2003).
36. Wm. J. Veigele, Aleutian Fury (Astral Publishing Co., Santa Barbara, CA, 2004).
37. Wm. J. Veigele, Operation GB (Astral Publishing Co., Santa Barbara, CA, 2007).
38. Wm. J. Veigele, "Remembering the Donald Duck Navy," Sea Classics, page 26, Vol. 41, No. 4, April 2008.
39. Wm. J. Veigele, How to Save Energy and Money at Home and on the Highway - The Mathematics and Physics of Energy Conservation and Reduction of Consumer Energy Costs (Universal-Publishers.com, Florida, 2009).
40. Wm. J. Veigele, Book Review, Robert L. Piccioni, Everyone's Guide to Atoms Einstein and the Universe (Real Science Publishing, Westlake village, CA, 2009).
41. Wm. J. Veigele, Press Review in The Times of Ti newspaper, 22 August 2009.
42. Wm. J. Veigele, Rustler's Revenge (Universal Publishers, Boca Raton, 2011).
43. Wm. J. Veigele, Energy, Its Mystique, Uses, and Consequences (Createspace Amazon, 2012).
44. Wm. J. Veigele, "Better Option for High Gas Mileage," Letter to the Editor, Santa Barbara News Press, Sunday January 8, 2012.
45. Wm. J. Veigele, "Too Good to be Forgotten"-Memories of the role played by the PC Sub Chasers of WWII are kept alive and well with the Patrol Craft Sailors Association, Sea Classics Magazine, pg. 26, August 2012.